Sawmill Animal Hospital, P.A. is the oldest veterinary hospital in Jones County, MS. The practice was established in Laurel, MS in 1954 by Clyde Odom, DVM on West 5th Street near West Laurel Baptist Church. Odom Animal Clinic was relocated to the present location at 1206 W 6th Street in 1964. Dr. Odom’s practice was mixed animal practice treating both large and small animals.
Several veterinarians were employed by Dr. Odom during his tenure. In 1972, Douglas F. Jefcoat became employed and practiced with Dr. Odom until Dr. Odom’s relocation to Anchorage, Alaska in 1974. Dr. Jefcoat continued the tradition of the practice and employed several veterinarians until 1980. Randall R. Moore, DVM joined the practice in 1980, and soon after, the practiced was renamed Sawmill Animal Hospital, P.A. In 1982, S. Ned Hinton, Jr., DVM joined the practice. A partnership was developed and the practice continued to grow, employing several other veterinarians over the next several years.
Lance R. Jefcoat, DVM was employed as a veterinarian in 2004, and 2005 brought Kent E. Holifield, DVM to the practice. The present location was remodeled in 2007 to accommodate the practice’s growth. Today, Sawmill Animal Hospital continues with 5 partners: Douglas F. Jefcoat, DVM, Randall R. Moore, DVM, S. Ned Hinton, DVM, Lance R. Jefcoat, DVM, and Kent E. Holifield, DVM.
In 2007, Sawmill Animal Hospital, P.A. purchased the veterinary practice of John R. Fuller, DVM at 4412 Hwy 15 North in Laurel and changed the name to North Jones Animal Hospital. Both locations are full service veterinary practices with North Jones specializing in dogs and cats, and Sawmill continuing to provide services for large and small animals.